Saturday, June 20, 2009

Should Christians 'Coexist' or should they evangelize

A friend posted the following question on her Facebook page:

"Why do people (who say they are Christians) see things only from their point of view, never considering how the other person may feel, and showing them love-in the name of Jesus? Isn’t that what we are supposed to do? Don’t we learn a few things with age and maturity?"

It raised a few questions in my mind that I wanted to explore.

The first question that came to mind was, "Should Christians 'Coexist' or should they evangelize?" Her question was in the context of Christians relating to other Christians, but the question also applies to interactions between Christians and non-Christians.

My initial, admittedly shoot-from-the-hip response was "I don't necessarily disagree with you. But let me turn your question around. Why do non-Christians seem to never look at things from the Christian point of view. Perhaps it's because they dismiss the Christian point as unworthy of consideration?"

Certainly everyone brings their own views (biases?) to a discussion like this. So I thought I would examine the question of 'Coexist' versus evangelize first from the Christian point of view. In this context, I am referring to 'Coexist' to mean the viewpoint that all religions and points of view are valid, and the movement, for lack of a better term, that goes with it. (c.f. www.coexistonline.com).

I have no problem with the idea of creating harmony through understanding. but the branding and propagation of this idea has had the side effect, in my opinion, of promoting a relativistic view of various religions and ideas, and labels a challenge to any specific point of view as racism or hate-speech. One only needs to look at the amount of 'hate-speech' legislation in the U.S. to understand the problem. We are rapidly reaching the point where espousing a point of view that is offends someone (is contrary to their point of view) is being criminalized.

This is a growing problem for Christians. Because 'evangelism' (1: to preach the gospel to 2: to convert to Christianity, Merriam-Webster Online) implicitly contradicts all non-Christian points of view. If Christians are, in fact, called to evangelize, then we are called to engage in what is rapidly being defined as hate-speech. Are we to engage in potentially criminal behavior, or can we all just get along?

What is the proper Christian viewpoint?
St. Paul speaks to this, proclaiming “Woe to me if I do not preach the Gospel” (1 Cor 9:16). Pope John Paul II stated, "Those who have come into genuine contact with Christ cannot keep him for themselves, they must proclaim him... This should be done however with the respect due to the different paths of different people and with sensitivity to the diversity of cultures in which the Christian message must be planted, in such a way that the particular values of each people will not be rejected but purified and brought to their fullness." (1)

Without belaboring this, the Great Commission calls us to go and make disciples of all nations. Passive coexistence cannot accomplish this. So we have a duty of conscience to speak out. Surely we should do this will charity. "And if I should have prophecy and should know all mysteries, and all knowledge, and if I should have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing." (1 Cor 13:2)

I think, perhaps, my friend was bemoaning the all too common lack of charity in our interactions. But to be silent is to fail in our duty.

Next -- The logical consequence of silence.

Notes:
1. John Paul II, Apostolic letter, Novo Millenio Ineunte (6 January 2001)
Blogged with the Flock Browser

1 comment:

  1. Dean,

    I started my own blog last year so family and friends could keep in touch and up-to-date with the kids. I am a huge fan of this format. Congratulations on getting yours started.

    Ah, the Facebook question. My post was in response to the feeling in my heart that if two people follow the example of Jesus, how can they not love each other?

    The nice turn around you ponder is something I’ve thought about myself.

    Let’s consider an analogy using politics. Do you “coexist” with people who espouse opposing political views? Do you respect their decision to believe as they do, but still offer your knowledge on the issue at hand? While often working toward opposite ends, do we shun them for not believing as we do? Are we still compelled to get our candidates message to the public when we know there will be opposition to what we believe to be a righteous message?

    I have to think that for either situation, the key to gaining ground for our cause is tack, understanding and non-fanaticism. We must act and speak with love, but also accept someone’s non-acceptance.

    It saddens me that, as your post points out, we are quickly approaching a society where you are ridiculed for not following the “popular” belief. It is a dangerous mindset that will be detrimental to our country.

    I will end with this thought:

    Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around
    Henry David Thoreau

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete